¡¡¡¡Chengdu is a famous cultural city with a history of more than 2,000 years. During the past hundreds of years, its address and name have never been changed. This city has developed commerce, wonderful craftworks, a lot of cultural celebrities, and flourishing culture. Bashu culture has a long history. Till now, there are still a variety of celebrities¡¯ vestige and places of historic interests in this city. In Chengdu, there are 216 Cultural Relic Protection Units (municipal level or higher). Chengdu is always a comprehensive city where no matter Taoism or Buddhism can find their place. Chengdu is also a hospitable city where a lot of literators and scholars in history, such as Du Fu, Li Bai, Du Mu etc. once visited and wrote many perfect poems. Moreover, Chengdu is a city integrating history with modern times. The Funan River Treatment Project is really a pioneering work for modern Chengdu people to make Chengdu turn on a new look and create a brand new habitation environment.
¡¡¡¡Jinjiang District is the most brilliant pearl of Chengdu. Ancientry and fashion live in perfect harmony at Chunxi Road. Daci Temple and Hongxing Road Pedestrian Street bring out the best in each other¡..History lives in perfect harmony with modern times.
¡¡¡¡After the comprehensive treatment project, Fuhe River and Nanhe River turn on a new look. The treatment project won a UN-HABITAT Award. Though we cannot see a boat and listen to a fishing song on the river, we can feel the progress of times. In order to continue the name of Jinjiang that has had a history of one thousand years, Funan River was renamed ¡°Jinjiang River¡± after the treatment project.
¡¡¡¡Daci Temple is the lung of Chengdu culture. It was called ¡°The first Jungle of China¡± in ancient times. It was said that the temple was built in Sui Dynasty. Xuanzong Emperor of Tang Dynasty granted it a name of Royal Holy Daci Temple. Buildings, pavilions, halls, towers, statutes, and pictures in the temple make up a wonderful and miraculous art gallery.
¡¡¡¡The holy Daci Temple was destroyed and rebuilt for many times because of war. The existing temple was rebuilt after Shunzhi regime of Qing Dynasty. In 2004, it was re-opened. It will become an important window for Buddhism to meet and guide the public.
Shuijingfang (A liquor workshop)
¡¡¡¡1,700 m2 of liquor workshop relics at Shuijing Street have been discovered already. From March to April 1999, the provincial and municipal cultural relics archaeological research institutes jointly started digging out the liquor workshop relics based on the trial excavation upon approval by the Ministry of Culture. They excavated nearly 280 m2 and discovered 3 drying halls, 8 wine cellars, 4 stoves, 4 ash pits, and subgrade, wood post, and pedestal of brewing equipment etc. The site has a complete set of brewing technology, from raw material cooking, mixing, and fermentation to distillery. So far, it is the only one in China. Therefore, it is valuable no matter for the research of distillery history or for further development in future.
Anshun Lang Bridge
¡¡¡¡The ancient Anshun Bridge at the lower reaches of Hejiangting is called Changhong Bridge formerly. It was said that it was built in around 1680. Somebody also said that the history of Anshun Bridge could trace back to Yuan Dynasty. Marco Polo once visited this bridge. This bridge was one of four most impressive bridges on Marco Polo¡¯s mind. Since it was rebuilt in 1746, the bridge name has had a history of more than 250 years. In 1947, the ancient Anshun Bridge was destroyed by flood. Since then it disappeared.
¡¡¡¡In 2002, a three-hole Lang Bridge of Ming and Qing Dynasty style was built at the lower reaches of Hejiangting. It was also named Anshun Lang Bridge. It looks similar to the ancient Anshun Lang Bridge. It is not only a bridge, but also the embodiment of history. Now Anshun Lang Bridge becomes a landscape where people can enjoy foods, sightseeing and leisure life.
¡¡¡¡Hejiangting was built in Tang Dynasty. At that time, it was the busiest dock in Chengdu and an important port to Yangtze River and Dongwu State. It is also the earliest municipal park in Chengdu.
¡¡¡¡In 1989, Chengdu Municipal Government rebuilt Hejiangting. Hejiangting became an open park for civilians. On traditional holidays, people will hold a boating festival here or put their river lanterns in the river, adding some cultural atmosphere for Hejiangting.
Former Residence of Li Jieren
¡¡¡¡Former residence of Li Jieren is called ¡°Lingke¡±, which is located beside Lingjiaoyan, southeast Shangshahebao, Jinjiang District, Chengdu. Li Jieren was a famous Chinese novelist and social activist. Li Jieren stayed at Lingke for 24 years till he deceased in December 1962. Former Residence of Li Jieren is the only well-reserved provincial cultural relic protection unit for commemorating modern cultural celebrities in Chengdu.
¡¡¡¡In spring of 1936, Japanese bombers bombed Chengdu. Funded by friends, Li Jieren built several thatched cottages for his family. Since the house bordered Lingjiaoyan, he wrote ¡°Lingke¡±, meaning a house at Lingjiaoyan, on the door head. The original Lingke was a house built with soil walls and thatched roof, facing north. It had three rooms. The east one was a living room and west one was a bedroom while the middle one was a study. In the study are a desk and some books and pictures. In 1957, the residence was rebuilt. Tiles took the place of thatched roof. The house turned into a two-story building with upstairs and downstairs corridors. The layout and function of the first floor were still the same. 4 rooms on the first floor were restaurant, living room, study, and bedroom respectively. 4 rooms on the second floor were for book storage, in which there were more than 40,000 Chinese and foreign books and hundreds of handwritings and pictures. The rebuilt residence covered 3.8mu. It was a courtyard covered by white brick walls. The gate turned toward east. On the door head was a dark brown Nanmu tablet on which there were two white Chinese characters, Lingke, written by Huang Zhiquan, a female calligrapher. On the doorpost was a pair of antithetical couplet. In the courtyard, there were green trees, grass, bridge, pool, rockwork, and stones, setting off main building and attached building of the residence very well. The appearance under the main building was the same as that when Li Jieren lived here. On the second floor was an exhibition of Li Jieren¡¯s life stories. Woodcarving of Li Jieren¡¯s three novels, Si Shui Wei Lan, Bao Feng Yu Qian, Da Bo. The antithetical couplets on the corridor post were composed by Li Jieren respectively in the Spring Festival of 1947 and in 1962. Behind the main building was the grave of Yang Shujun, the wife of Li Jieren. Li Jieren¡¯s statue had a distance of 50m to the front of the building. The 1-m-high pedestal of the statue was made of red sandstone, on which was the biography of Li Jieren and people¡¯s evaluation, which were composed by Zhang Xiushu and written by Ma Shitu. The statue was made of white marble, as high as 1.5m. It was a masterpiece made by professor Liu Kaiqu, a famous sculptor. Li Jieren looked resolute and serene with sagacious sight going straightly towards distant places.
In 1982, Chengdu Municipal Government appropriated a sum of money specially to repair the former residence of Li Jieren. In 1985, Lingke was listed as a cultural relic protection unit in Chengdu for its special cultural values. In 1987, the Cultural Relic Management Office of Former Residence of Li Jieren was established. In June, Lingke was open to the public. In 1989, Lingke was evaluated as one of eight top scenic spots in Chengdu. In 1991, Lingke was evaluated as a national level-II and III relic protection unit by the state and a provincial cultural relic protection unit by Sichuan Provincial Government for its special values and pictures and handwritings collected. In November 1998, the Chengdu Municipal Cultural Bureau made a decision that Chengdu Wuhou Museum was responsible for management of the Cultural Relic Management Office of Former Residence of Li Jieren. Then the residence was closed for half a year to carry out overall maintenance so as to resume its original appearance. On June 29, 1999, Lingke opened again with a brand new look. On December 3, 2004, its management was transferred to Jinjiang District. With the continuous development of the Former Residence of Li Jieren, it will be built as an exhibition area of Sichuan¡¯s celebrity culture and become a cultural tourist attraction full of patriotic education, historical culture, celebrity culture, and art creation.